Review: EVA Air B789 Business Class, Bangkok-Vienna

EVA Air B789 business class, Bangkok to Vienna

Flight: BR61
Departure time in Bangkok (BKK): 2:45
Arrival time in Vienna (VIE): 8:15
Aircraft: Boeing 789, B17885
Seat: 5A
Duration: 11h 30m
Date of flight: October 27, 2019
*This is an award ticket, Business Class flight #206


EVA Air B787 & Austrian Business Class from Cebu to Stockholm

Photo Review: Plaza Premium Lounge, Mactan Airport T2 (CEB)
Photo Review: Philippine Airlines Mabuhay Lounge, Mactan T2 (CEB)
Review: EVA Air Business Class, Cebu-Taipei
Photo Review: Singapore Air SilverKris Lounge, Taipei (TPE)
Review: EVA Air B787 Business Class, Taipei-Bangkok
Photo Review: Turkish Airlines Lounge, Bangkok (BKK)
Review: EVA Air B787 Business Class, Bangkok-Vienna
Photo Review: Austrian Business Lounge Gates D, Vienna (VIE)
Review: Austrian Business Class, Vienna-Stockholm

Video from my YouTube Channel 📺


Lounges in Bangkok

After clearing security, I decided to visit the new Turkish Airlines Lounge first before heading to the EVA Air Lounge. I did not stay long in the Turkish Airlines Lounge as my primary goal was just to take photos and I knew that the EVA Air Lounge has a much better food and drinks selection.

Around 1:48am, an announcement was made in the EVA Air Lounge informing passengers that there is a delay and that the new departure time is 3:05am instead of the scheduled 2:45am. I asked the staff in the reception about the new boarding time and she said it would be 2:35am so I stayed in the lounge until it was 15 minutes before boarding time.

Aircraft, Boeing 789

I could not take a photo of our aircraft while at the airport as it was obstructed and had reflections so I took this photo instead during the flight to Vienna.

Boarding, Gate E5

Boarding began at 2:34am with those flying in business class and those with status getting priority boarding first.

As usual, there was a newspaper trolley just outside the door.

There was also wifi connection as advertised outside the door 😉

Business Class Cabin (Royal Laurel Class)

This is the same plane we flew from Taipei and which made a technical stop in Bangkok so I will just concentrate more on the service.

The left side of the cabin


Seat Map


Between the business class cabin and the economy class cabin is the galley with this beautiful lighting 😉

Seat 5A

My seat, 5A

Already waiting at my seat are the Rimowa amenity kit, a pair of Jason Wu slippers, a blanket and a pillow.

Jason Wu slippers and Rimowa amenity kit

EVA Air business class pillow and blanket

Personal screen

From the movie selection, I ended up watching Men in Black: International.

Light and seat controls

Storage compartment for the headphones

With this long flight to Vienna, I decided to use the privacy divider.

Electronic window blind

Thunder headphones and IFE controller

Rimowa Amenity Kit and Clarins

I´ve heard that EVA Air will be changing their amenity kits to Salvatore Ferragamo in the future so I was glad to have still received this on this flight. As far as I know, EVA Air is the only airline providing a Rimowa kit in business class. Lufthansa, ANA and THAI had offered/offer them but only in first class. The contents of the kit included a comb, socks, eye mask, a dental kit, screen cloth and Clarins moisture rich body lotion, hand and nail treatment cream and lip balm 👍

Wifi

I´m used to flying Turkish Airlines business class where wifi use is unlimited so I thought it was a weak point for EVA Air on this part. Of course, not many airlines offer unlimited wifi for free so I really can´t fault EVA Air on this 😉

Pre-departure Beverage

Moments after settling in (at 2:38am), I was offered something to drink and I chose a glass of apple juice. It was served with a cold towel and a Valrhona chocolate. I remember getting a big Valrhona chocolate bar when I flew in Qatar Airways first class a few years ago so it was nice to see a smaller version of this 😉

Minutes later, an announcement was made that there would be a further delay due to Vienna Airport being closed when we arrive.

I was also offered some pyjamas designed by Jason Wu which was unisex. I remember seeing an article on the internet that the there is a different color for men and women so I guess I was wrong.

Inflight Safety Video

At 3:05am, the safety video was played on the screen and 7 minutes later, we began our pushback. About 20 minutes later, we were airborne.

Dining

Menu card and wine list

Late dinner menu

Snacks menu

Breakfast menu

Champagne and wine list


Meal Selection from the internet where I chose the Lobster.

A bottle of Fiji water was distributed after take off. An announcement on the PA was also made with the usual flight information and our flight time of 10 hours and 15 minutes.

As soon as the seat belt sign was turned off, the crew started with the meal service. My drinks and meal order was not taken prior to take off as we were already getting ready to depart Bangkok so I was the first one to be asked for my orders after take off. The flight attendant confirmed my order from the internet so she just took my drinks order.

Late Dinner

Amuse bouche with a glass of apple juice

Bread and butter, apple juice, sparkling water

Between the Zucchini soup and the Vegetarian mushroom soup, I chose the latter.

The soup was quite good. I guess most clear soups served on plane are at the most "good" 😉 While having my soup, the cabin supervisor came to my seat to introduce herself and to welcome me onboard.

Deep fried lobster with teriyaki sauce served with steamed rice

For my main course, I ordered the lobster from the EVA Air website as those in the menu were Beef Rib eye, Roasted Chicken and Grilled Kapong Fish. I was really glad I ordered the lobster because it was soooooo good 😋

To end the meal, I had some fruits served with some green tea and Valrhona chocolates.

Hot towel

Turndown Service

After the meal service, the crew offered to do the turndown service, which meant putting a thin mattress pad and preparing the blanket and pillow. I thought the pillow was on the hard side unfortunately. Still, I was able to get a few hours of sleep.

Mood lighting and some stars 😉

Breakfast

With an hour and 51 minutes before landing in Vienna, breakfast service started.

First, I was served some green tea, a napkin and a hot towel.

Then, the whole breakfast was served on a tray. I was also offered some bread and chose two muffins which were very good.

For my main course, I had the Smoked salmon French toast casserole served with baked apple wedges which was very good.

Lavatory

The lavatory was always kept clean.

It offered skin care products from the German brand No. 4711 Acqua Colonia

Later on the flight, dental kits, ear plugs, wet towels and mouthwash sachets were added in the lavatory.

Lavatory

Airshow

Airshow enroute to Vienna

Landing in Vienna Airport (VIE)

The captain was once again back on the PA to inform us that we would be arriving in Vienna at 7:50am, about 30 minutes ahead of schedule, and the current temperature in Vienna of 7 degrees. For a safer landing, we were also asked to turn off all electronic device.

A video was also shown informing passengers that it is not allowed to take any meat products to the EU (unless you have official veterinary documentation).

We landed in Vienna at 7:42am and reached our gate 12 minutes later with a Qatar Airways Dreamliner to our right side.

CONCLUSION

To be honest, I´ve been looking forward to taking this flight for a long time now as EVA Air is one of my favorite airlines in business class. Needless to say, I am also a fan of their Rimowa kits which is definitely the best amenity kit in business class in my opinion. The crew were very friendly and were always addressing me by my name and doing the refill of bread and drinks. The lobster was phenomenal and was one of the best dishes I´ve had on a plane. I actually loved everything on this flight except that the pillow was a bit too hard. Maybe it was just me. Of course, I was still able to sleep well. Overall, it was a very nice flight and hopefully I can fly with them again, and who knows on one of their Hello Kitty jets 😉

Comments