Review: Cathay Pacific B777 First Class, Hong Kong-New York

Cathay Pacific B777-300ER first class Hong Kong to New York

Trip from Europe to the US via Asia flying Qatar Airways Qsuite & Cathay Pacific First Class

In 2014, I did two round-the-world trips, flying Asiana Airlines, Lufthansa and British Airways first class using miles. This year, I´m doing it again although it will be a bit different. I will fly from Europe to the US via Asia and will take the same route on the way back so it won´t really be a complete round-the-world tour. I´m flying Qatar Airways business class and Cathay Pacific first class (thanks to the mistake fare) so I´m really looking forward to a trip full of jet lag but nevertheless fun!


Review: Qatar Airways A359 Qsuite, Stockholm-Doha
Review: Qatar Airways A359 Qsuite, Doha-Singapore
Photo Review: SATS Premier Lounge, T2 Singapore (SIN)
Photo Review: Qantas Singapore Lounge, T1 Singapore (SIN)
Photo Review: British Airways Lounge, T1 Singapore (SIN)
Photo Review: NIA Business Class Lounge T2 Hanoi (HAN)
Review: Cathay Dragon Business Class, Hanoi-Hong Kong
Photo Review: Ibis Hong Kong North Point
Video Review: Cathay Pacific The Pier First Class Lounge, Hong Kong (HKG)
Review: Cathay Pacific B777 First Class, Hong Kong-New York JFK
Photo Review: The Madison Washington DC, a Hilton Hotel
Review: Conrad Washington DC
Photo Review: Capital Hilton
Exploring Washington DC
Photo Review: Millennium Times Square New York
Photo Review: American Flagship Bridge Lounge, New York (JFK)
Photo Review: American Airlines Flagship First Dining New York (JFK)
Review: Cathay Pacific B777 First Class, New York JFK-Hong Kong
Photo Review: Regal Airport Hotel Hong Kong
Review: Cathay Dragon Business Class, Hong Kong-Hanoi
Photo Review: Vietnam Airlines Lotus Lounge, Hanoi (HAN)
Photo Review: DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur
Photo Review: SATS Premier Lounge, T1 Singapore (SIN)
Review: Qatar Airways Business Class, Singapore-Doha
Review: Qatar Airways Business Class, Doha-Stockholm

Flight: CX840
Departure time in Hong Kong (HKG): 16:05
Arrival time in New York (JFK): 20:15
Aircraft: Boeing 777-300ER (B-KPF)
Seat: 1A
Duration: 16h 10m
Date of flight: August 10, 2019
*This is a revenue ticket, First Class flight #50

Video Review from my YouTube Channel πŸ“Ί


Hong Kong International Airport

I left the ibis Hotel around 9:45am and took the bus to the airport and after an hour, I was already at the Terminal 1 of Hong Kong International Airport.

Hong Kong International Airport Terminal 1

Check-in (First Class)

The First Class check in area is located in Aisle A. Check-in went smoothly and moments later, I was given my boarding pass as well as a courtesy channel card and a lounge invitation.

Courtesy Channel card

Cathay Pacific The Pier First Class Lounge

After passing by the Qantas Singapore Lounge and The Bridge, I then headed to my favorite first class lounge in Hong Kong, The Pier First Class Lounge 😍

In the Dining Room, I had some Xiao Long Bao (pork and soup dumplings) ...

... and some Braised Chicken and mushroom. Both were perfect πŸ˜‹

I left the lounge at 3pm and on my way to the gate passed by this: Dai Pai Dong, an open stall that was once very popular in the 1950´s to 70´s in Hong Kong πŸ˜‰

Aircraft, Boeing 777-300ER (B-KPF)


Boarding, Gate 32


As usual, there was priority boarding although just before it started around 3:30pm, we got interviewed by immigration officers one by one.

Newspapers trolley just before boarding.

First Class Cabin

I was greeted by one of the flight attendants and was shown to my seat.

I had previously chosen seat 1A as my seat making it very private since together with seat 2A, they are separated from the other 4 seats in the cabin with a divider πŸ‘

View of the first class cabin

View of the cabin from my seat

From my seat, all I could see is the divider to my right side.

The best part of seating in 1A is that you get to see the captain in the cockpit πŸ‘ On this flight, 5 of the 6 seats were occupied.

Seat 1A

Welcome to my seat, 1A 😍

Three windows and some orchids πŸ˜‰

Cathay Pacific first class pillow

In front of my seat is an ottoman which can serve as a seat if you have a companion. There´s also a personal screen.

Below the personal screen is a small storage compartment.

To the left of the seat are the IFE controller, seat control and a storage compartment for the headphones.

IFE controller and seat controls

BOSE headphones πŸ‘

BOSE headphones and IFE controller

From the movie selection, I ended up watching "Missing Link" which I thought was a nice movie. Of course, there was a great selection of movies to watch.

Albums

Then, there´s the large table πŸ˜‰

Located under the seat control is the headphone socket.

And further to the right is the USB and power ports.

There´s a reading light to the left slightly above my head ...

... and another one to the right just above the magazine rack.

Inflight magazines and safety instruction card.

Some more seat controls

And of course, a closet for your small bags, coat, etc.

Pre-departure Beverage

Moments after settling in, I was asked by Christine, one of the flight attendants in the first cabin for my choice of predeparture beverage. I asked for a glass of still water which was served with some nuts. They are also serving Krug so I just asked if I could take a photo instead.

Krug 2004 πŸ‘

First Class Amenity Kit & Pyjamas (Aesop & PYE)

I was also offered a hot towel and then the amenity kit from Aesop.

The male travel kit consisted of the usual dental kit, comb, mouthwash, earplugs, monitor cloth and of course, the Aesop Rosehip seed lip cream and Parsley seed anti oxidant serum. The Aesop leaflet also mentions a writing pad can be requested from the crew if needed although I read that only after coming home so I´ll have to ask for it next time πŸ˜‰

I was also offered a set of pyjamas.

Unlike my last flight with them in 2015, the organic cotton pyjamas are color dark green instead of light gray. The menu card was also presented and I was told I can choose anything to have anytime since it´s a 15 hour long flight πŸ˜‰

Safety Video

Around 3:58pm, the captain came on the PA to welcome us onboard, giving us some flight information including our flight time of 15 hours and 10 minutes. About 7 minutes later, the safety video was played on the screen.

Pushback & Taxi

Pushback began at 4:11pm.

Taxiing

In the meantime, Sharis came to took my meal order. I opted for the caviar and the prawn. She suggested I try the Chinese soup and salad, and which I did. At 4:30pm, we were ready for take off and moments later, we were airborne. As soon as the seat belt sign was turned off, I went to the lavatory to change into pyjamas.

Dining

Menu card

Dinner

Dinner

Snacks and breakfast

Drink list

Champagne (Krug Vintage 2004), white wines, red wines, port

Aperitifs and cocktails

Dinner

To start the dinner service, I was served the green tea I had asked earlier and then an amuse bouche which was basil pannacotta.

Then, the table was set up with the usual card from the crew in first class πŸ‘

The caviar on this flight is Calvisius Caviar Venise. This time, I asked for a glass of Krug to go with my caviar πŸ‘

Calvisius caviar

Double boiled soup with white fungus with chicken, coconut soup

Cold plate: Drunken chicken with carrot and soy braised mushroom

Pan fried King Prawn, lemon herb garlic butter, asparagus and millet

For my main course, I chose the prawn minus the sauce, since I don´t like it.

Then it was time for some cheese.

Black forest pudding, vanilla ice cream and raspberry coullis

The dining experience was just perfect. The food tasted excellent (although I didn´t like the drunken chicken that much) and the service was just in the right pace, with the crew addressing me by name.

To end the dinner service, I was offered a bottle of Evian water, some pralines, a hot towel and a new pot of tea.

Turndown Service

While in the lavatory, the crew did the turndown service. Now, I´m ready for a good night´s sleep.

DND activated

There´s also a wake up call in case you need it πŸ‘

Airshow

Airshow enroute to New York JFK

Lavatory

This is one of the two lavatories located in front of the cabin, on the left side.

As usual, it had Aesop products: hand and body balm, face cleanser and facial moisturizer.

First class lavatory

First class lavatory

Snacks

I was able to sleep for a few hours and when I woke up, decided to have some snacks while watching Avengers. I ordered the Cathay Delight from the drinks list and it was very good.

Then, I had the beef burger with Monterey Jack cheese. It was fantastic πŸ˜‹

To end the meal, I had some MΓΆvenpick ice cream. I slept again for a few hours and woke up with about 2 hours and 10 minutes left before landing. I went to the lavatory and when I returned to my seat, my bed was "in order" again, thanks to the flight attendant πŸ‘

Breakfast

Hot towel

The flight attendant asked if I wanted to have some smoothie, although I declined. I opted for some cereals and yogurt instead.

Seasonal fresh fruits

Cereal and yogurt

For my main course, I had the Dim Sum selection. I loved everything except the chicken glutinous rice as I am not yet used to eating it. All the other items are pretty much like the ones we have in the Philippines and which I love.

Landing in New York JFK Airport

View of New York skyline before landing.

At 7:09pm, the captain was back on the PA informing us that we would soon start our descent and the current temperature in New York is 27 degrees. Subject to air traffic control, we expect to land at 7:50pm.

We actually landed earlier, at 7:34pm although we reached our gate after a long taxi.

CONCLUSION

There it was, my 50th flight in first class, and it was on one of my favorite airlines, Cathay Pacific 😍 Having flown with them before (and knowing the great reviews they have on the internet), I was happy to have flown this flight. The crew were just so friendly and professional. The dining experience was excellent with the Krug and the caviar service being the highlight. The seat was very wide and comfortable I really was able to sleep well. The only thing missing was the wifi although for me, it was not that really important. The effect of the protest in Hong Kong was still controllable as well. To all the crew on this flight, thanks so much for making my 50th flight in first class a memorable one!

Comments