Review: Cathay Dragon Business Class, Hanoi-Hong Kong

Cathay Dragon Business Class, Hanoi to Hong Kong

Trip from Europe to the US via Asia flying Qatar Airways Qsuite & Cathay Pacific First Class

In 2014, I did two round-the-world trips, flying Asiana Airlines, Lufthansa and British Airways first class using miles. This year, I´m doing it again although it will be a bit different. I will fly from Europe to the US via Asia and will take the same route on the way back so it won´t really be a complete round-the-world tour. I´m flying Qatar Airways business class and Cathay Pacific first class (thanks to the mistake fare) so I´m really looking forward to a trip full of jet lag but nevertheless fun!


Review: Qatar Airways A359 Qsuite, Stockholm-Doha
Review: Qatar Airways A359 Qsuite, Doha-Singapore
Photo Review: SATS Premier Lounge, T2 Singapore (SIN)
Photo Review: Qantas Singapore Lounge, T1 Singapore (SIN)
Photo Review: British Airways Lounge, T1 Singapore (SIN)
Photo Review: NIA Business Class Lounge T2 Hanoi (HAN)
Review: Cathay Dragon Business Class, Hanoi-Hong Kong
Photo Review: Ibis Hong Kong North Point
Video Review: Cathay Pacific The Pier First Class Lounge, Hong Kong (HKG)
Review: Cathay Pacific B777 First Class, Hong Kong-New York JFK
Photo Review: The Madison Washington DC, a Hilton Hotel
Review: Conrad Washington DC
Photo Review: Capital Hilton
Exploring Washington DC
Photo Review: Millennium Times Square New York
Photo Review: American Flagship Bridge Lounge, New York (JFK)
Photo Review: American Airlines Flagship First Dining New York (JFK)
Review: Cathay Pacific B777 First Class, New York JFK-Hong Kong
Photo Review: Regal Airport Hotel Hong Kong
Review: Cathay Dragon Business Class, Hong Kong-Hanoi
Photo Review: Vietnam Airlines Lotus Lounge, Hanoi (HAN)
Photo Review: DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur
Photo Review: SATS Premier Lounge, T1 Singapore (SIN)
Review: Qatar Airways Business Class, Singapore-Doha
Review: Qatar Airways Business Class, Doha-Stockholm

Flight: KA294/CX5294
Departure time in Hanoi (HAN): 19:55 Terminal 2
Arrival time in Hong Kong (HKG): 22:45 Terminal 1
Aircraft: Airbus A320-200 (B-HSR)
Seat: 11A
Duration: 1h 55m
Date of flight: August 9, 2019
*This is a revenue ticket, Business Class flight #196

Video Review from my YouTube Channel 📺


Introduction

When I booked the first class "mistake fare" from Vietnam to the US last January 1, I wasn´t sure if it would be honored. Luckily, it got honored a few days. making these first class flights between Hong Kong and New York JFK the only first class flights I had paid with cash and not with miles. Of course, it was really cheap 😍 In order to get from Stockholm to Asia, I booked with Qatar Airways during one of their sales flying Stockholm to Singapore in business class and then with Malaysia Airlines in economy class to Hanoi.

Cathay Pacific tweets confirming that they would honor the fare 👍

Transiting in Hanoi Airport

I arrived at Hanoi Airport around 12:30pm and waited for the Cathay Dragon transfer desk to open. I was told to wait for 30 minutes although I was called by the agent only after 5 minutes as the agent who was supposed to help me came in early. The agent asked if I had ESTA and which I presented to him. I also asked about the situation in Hong Kong although they knew nothing about it. Moments later, I was given my boarding passes to Hong Kong and New York as well as two lounge invitations, and shortly after, I was on my way to passport and security control, and then to the lounge.

NIA Business Class Lounge

Cathay Dragon is using the NIA Business Class Lounge which I thought was a very nice lounge especially as it offers fantastic views of the tarmac.

Aircraft, Airbus A320 (B-HSR)

The Airbus A320 flying us to Hong Kong that night

Boarding, Gate 35

Boarding started earlier than scheduled, around 7:18pm with the checking of passports done 5 minutes before that.

Cabin

The business class cabin consists of 2 rows from row 10 to 11 in a 2-2 configuration with a total of 8 recliner seats. The cabin was full on this flight.

Seat map

Seats 11A and 11C

Seat 11A

Already waiting at my seat is a pillow and the headphones placed in the side storage compartment under the armrest.

There is no personal screen in front of the seat but there is a holder for ipad which the flight attendants would be offering later.

There´s a coat hook and mobile holder although with the current mobile phones now, they surely wouldn´t fit 😉

Legroom

Foldable tray table

Foldable tray table

Seat controls, IFE magazines, safety instruction card, headphones

Business class pillow and headphones

Blanket

Inflight magazines, Studio X guide

Power ports

Window shades

At the back of the business class cabin is a magazine rack.

Around 7:30pm, predeparture beverage were offered with a choice of alcoholic drink, juice or water, as well as some antiseptic towelettes.

I chose a glass of water.

Around 7:36pm, the captain came on the PA to welcome us onboard. He also informed us of our flight time of 1 hour and 36 minutes with a temperature of 24 degrees in Hong Kong.

Moments later, the flight attendants offered some newspapers followed by the ipads (as an alternative for the personal screen).

ipad

Movie selection

Watching a movie

We were also offered the menu card and arrival forms. Around 7:45pm, the flight attendant came to my seat addressing me by my name and took my main course and drink order. I chose the fish for mu main course and a cup of green tea for my drinks. Three minutes later, the safety video was played on the screen and 2 minutes later, we began our pushback. Take off was at 8pm.

Dining

Menu card

Dinner menu and drinks list

The champagne onboard was Piper Heidsieck NV Brut 👍

Aperitifs and cocktails

The whole meal was served on a tray including my cup of green tea. The fish was actually very good 😋

Moments later, bread was also offered.

After clearing my tray, I was asked if I wanted to have some desserts. They had Haagen Dazs with a choice of strawberry, vanilla and Belgian chocolate. Unfortunately, the ice cream was too hard so I had to wait a bit before I could indulge 😉

Airshow

Airshow enroute to Hong Kong

Lavatory

There is one lavatory located in front of the cabin, and had Jurlique products.

Lovely orchids 👍

Lavatory

Landing in Hong Kong Airport

Around 10pm, the captain was back on the PA to update us of the flight, and informed us that we would be landing at 10:30pm with about 23 degrees in Hong Kong. We landed at 10:29pm and reached our gate 7 minutes later.

Taxiing to the gate.

CONCLUSION

It was my first time flying with Cathay Dragon so I was curious to see how it would compare with other airlines. I have to say that I was really impressed as the crew were very friendly always addressing me by my name. The food was also very good for a short flight. The seats although just recliners are comfortable, and the ipads offered was also a nice touch. Overall, I really enjoyed this flight and would not hesitate flying with Cathay Dragon again 😉

Comments