The Last SAS B737 Commercial Flight, Stockholm to Oslo

 

SAS B737-700 Dag Viking in Oslo after doing the final B737 flight for SAS

Video on YouTube



Last Sunday November 19, 2023 was a very special day not only for me but for most avgeeks as SAS made it´s last B737 commercial flight from Stockholm to Oslo. The moment I saw the post of SAS on X (last September 29), I immediately booked one seat for the cost of 1,737 SEK. 

If you look at the price, it is like adding 1000 SEK to number 737 to make it more special ๐Ÿ˜‰ 

When I booked this flight, I noticed that it was in European business class (SAS Plus Pro) which gives me 3 checked-in bags, seat, a meal and lounge access. All of the seats are business class seats, wow!

Two days before the flight, SAS sent an email informing that this flight will perform a "low-pass" and that I could rebook to a normal flight on the same day for free if I wanted to. Of course, I kept this flight ๐Ÿ˜‰


One day before the flight, I could still see 3 seats being sold for this flight.

Last 3 seats available one day before the flight.

Flight: SK737
Departure time in Stockholm (ARN): 18:37
Arrival time in Oslo (OSL): 20:40
Aircraft: Boeing 737-700 (LN-RRB named Dag Viking)
Seat: 20A
Duration: 2h 3m
Date of flight: November 19, 2023
*This is a revenue ticket, Business Class flight #251

Arlanda Terminal 5

I arrived in Stockholm Arlanda Airport Terminal 5 at 4:25pm for the 6:37pm flight departure. SAS check-in desks were located in Zone 6 so I immediately made my way there.

When I arrived, I was asked by the agents to go to the 70s desks instead where I did my formal check in and got my physical boarding pass. I also did the mobile check-in on the way to the lounge just to be sure.

Fast Track

Although I did travel in September and again in October, I used the Bromma Airport and Arlanda Terminal 2 respectively so it was my first time to see this new part of Terminal 5. Security control is modern and does not require to remove the liquids and electronics from your bags.

The new Terminal 5 is taking shape ๐Ÿ˜‰

SAS Gold Lounge

Buffet spread in SAS Gold Lounge

It was a fairly long walk, about 8 minutes after clearing security to reach the SAS Gold Lounge

Once there, I grabbed a soup and some bread from the buffet. I also visited quickly the SAS Business Lounge where most of the "last B737" passengers were waiting.

Aircraft, B737-700 (Dag Viking)

At 5:40pm, the aircraft we all had been waiting for landed and taxied to gate D11.

It looks like Dag Viking had been busy in it´s last few days ๐Ÿ˜‰

Gate D11, Boarding

Since everybody was flying in SAS Plus, there was no need for priority boarding. Instead, those passengers seating from rows 20 to 25 were the ones to board first, followed by the rest. 

After scanning my boarding card, I was given a paper bag with a nice souvenir, just like all the passengers on this flight. It consisted of a SAS water bottle and a "remove before flight" tag from Flight Radar. Thanks guys!

Cabin

Business cabin

The cabin was in a 3-3 configuration from rows 1 to 24. When I made my booking, the first window seat that was available was in row 20 so I immediately booked seat 20A for myself. There were a total of 147 seats on this B737 all of which were occupied (of course) ๐Ÿ˜‰

Seat 20A

Literature pocket, tray table, USB port

Safety card (which landed safely inside my ryggsรคck ๐Ÿ˜‰), SAS menu card and SAS wifi card

Legroom

View from my seat

To say that everybody on this flight was enthusiastic would be an understatement. Everybody was excited and I was just so glad I was on this flight. After the "welcome to the last B737 flight" was done, we were informed that the crew would serve some chocolates and coffee/tea on the way to Copenhagen, then some snacks and champagne from Copenhagen to Oslo.

Captain with Welcome Message

The Norwegian captain also made his welcome message over the PA which was cool ๐Ÿ‘

Stockholm to Copenhagen

At 6:45pm, we were airborne.

SAS Wifi

I tried connecting to SAS wifi but was not successful in my few attempts.

It was cool to see they put 737 on the pralines covering ๐Ÿ‘ For my drinks, I had a cup of tea. A bottle of water and juices were also available.

Lavatory

Lavatory, back of the cabin

Lavatory, back of the cabin

Boarding Card

Before doing the "low-pass" in Copenhagen, a staff distributed the physical boarding card to all the passengers. I guess I checked-in pretty late as I had SEQ 135 ๐Ÿ˜‰

Copenhagen to Oslo

I was glad I sat on a window seat as I was able to see how the aircraft perform the low-pass which is flying in low altitude as if we were going to land (but not really doing it). It was awesome ๐Ÿ‘

As soon as we reached flying altitude (again), the crew distributed some sort of roll which was very good. They actually ran out of these rolls from row 20 so the others at the back were offered some chips and nuts.

For drinks, I had a glass of bubbly (Charles Heidsieck) and a bottle of mineral water.

We also had a quiz were about 6 passengers won an aircraft model of B737.

Then, the captain made the 700 sign in the air (as this is a Boeing 737-700 variant) which was cool ๐Ÿ‘

Landing in Oslo Gardemoen Airport

We landed in Oslo Gardemoen Airport around 9:19pm, almost 40 minutes behind schedule but who cares. It was a very special flight and we could have flown as long as the captain wanted ๐Ÿ‘ As expected, we parked in a remote stand where buses were waiting for us.

The bus waited for us to be driven to the terminal.

CONCLUSION

I was really glad I was on this flight. I never thought I would ever fly on the last SAS B737 commercial flight but there I was, enjoying every minute of it. The crew were just as enthusiastic as the passengers and although we would never get to fly SAS B737 again, this flight will always be remembered. To Dag Viking, all the crew, SAS staff and fellow passengers, thanks for an amazing ride ๐Ÿ‘

Comments

  1. I am so envious, and surprised to find out there were spare seats on SK737 the day before departure! SK737 was definitely sold out until very, very soon before departure - either way, glad I managed to get onto one of the regular flights on LN-RRB the days before its last flight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a pity you missed those seats. I was also surprised to see vacant seats one day before the flight. My seat mate in 20B told me he bought the last seat. It was really a very special flight, all my fellow passengers and the crew were just fantastic!!

      Delete

Post a Comment