Top Attractions in Italy & the Vatican City

Trevi Fountain, Rome

First visit: July 2000
My Country #3

Last updated in July 1, 2021

Having lived in Rome for seven years between 2000 and 2007, I consider myself a very lucky person. Not only was I able to experience the Italian culture and learn to speak the language but most importantly, I got to live as a local in the city they call "La Città Eterna", enjoying great cuisine and visiting tourist attractions whenever I want to among other things. Unfortunately, I lost most of my photos while visiting the Vatican City and other cities like Milan and Florence so I really have to be back to Italy again and update this post. In the meantime, here are some of my travel tips when visiting Rome.


Colosseum: Originally known as the Flavian Amphitheater, it is considered one of the greatest works of Roman architecture.

Arch of Constantine, the famous triumphal arch situated between the Colosseum and the Palatine Hill.

The Roman Forum

Fontana de Trevi (Trevi Fountain), the largest Baroque fountain in the city. According to a legend, if a visitor throws a coin into the fountain, he is ensured a return to Rome. I remember doing it myself, and I guess it really works 😉

Pantheon, a temple to all the gods of Ancient Rome.

Piazza Navona: Make sure you don't miss the Fountain of the Four Rivers, one of the altars of science in Dan Brown's 2000 thriller "Angels and Demons".

Spanish Steps

Piazza di Spagna

Piazza del Popolo

Via del Corso: This is the main street you would want to visit if you love shopping 😉

Piazza Colonna

Church of Saint Mary "dei Miracoli": One of the two churches facing Piazza del Popolo.

Campo de´Fiori: Located south of Piazza Navona, this rectangular square is a must visit, with a daily market in the morning and lots of restaurants and cafes.

Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II

Shrine of Mother of Perpetual Help

With a friend at the St. Peter´s Square, Vatican. 

The original sculpture of The Pietà by Michelangelo inside the St. Peter´s Basilica is not to be missed as well as a visit to the famous Sistine Chapel.


In case you are visiting Venice, here is the link.

Comments