Retro Review: US Airways First Class, Cancun-Charlotte

US Airways first class, Cancun to Charlotte

Flight: US884
Departure time in Cancun (CUN): 12:30
Arrival time in Charlotte (CLT): 16:07
Aircraft: Airbus A330-200
Seat: 1F
Duration: 2h 37m
Date of flight: November 8, 2013
*This is an award travel, Business Class flight #37

So this was my first time traveling with US Airways, and having read numerous comments of travelers about the seats here being much better than the intra-Europe flights by the European carriers, I was really curious if there was something more than the better seats.

On the way to the airport, we caught site of this Nordwind Airline. Cool 😎

Check-in, Desks 57-58

The check-in for our flight to Charlotte was at Terminal 3, with two check-in counters serving the first class passengers.

Aircraft, Airbus A330-200

The Airbus 330-200

Boarding, Gate C14

Boarding began at 11:45am.

First Class Cabin

The first class cabin with a 1-2-1 configuration (herringbone)

The closet for the coats

Seat 1F

My envoy suite, 1F with its privacy shell 😉

Personal screen

From the adjustable monitor, I watched World War Z and thought it was a very interesting movie. We were actually informed that the flight was not meant to have the IFE running but those who had their own headphones could use it. Fortunately, I had my lovely Emirates headphones with me 😉

Reading lamp, USB ports and power outlet, and the entertainment control

The seat control unit that turns my seat into a fully flat bed.

Water bottle holder

Ottoman, a blanket and the literature holder

Airshow

Airshow enroute to Charlotte.

Dining

As soon as I was seated, the flight attendant offered me something to drink and I asked for a glass of lime water. Since the departure was delayed due to a slight mechanical problem (a bling bling on the background) and it took more than one and half hours to get fixed, we were continuously given snacks like pretzels, nuts and chocolate bars.

Lavatory

It was kind of cool seeing the Dial liquid soap here. I remember it was a popular soap in the Philippines back when I was a kid.

Lavatory

CONCLUSION

So there it was, my first flight with US Airways from Cancun to Charlotte. And how good was my experience? I have to say the seats were ok as well as the service. One thing I expected to be served on board though was a light meal or something considering that the flight was more than 2 and a half hours long but obviously, they only serve snacks on board. At least in my experience flying business class intra-Europe, they have always served meals like from Stockholm to Frankfurt which is a much shorter flight. Otherwise, I agree with those saying they prefer the US Airways seats because the intra-European have normal seats with the middle seat being blocked. Still, if I were to choose, I would always go for the European carriers.

Comments